Sunday, October 26, 2008

Will Strip For Sushi...

So this week I think we are supposed to be blogging about effective writing techniques in features that will help with our assignments. Well, I just read a very entertaining feature on Naked Sushi modeling, I believe called Nyotaimori, in Vanity Fair. The author, Melanie Berliet, took her investigation one step further and decided to experience the Japanese tradition herself. The whole feature is told in first person, present tense, as she lays completely motionless while men use chopsticks to pick sushi off of her naked body. This approach allows Berliet to almost have a conversation with her readers. It feels as if you're reading a story from your good friend who is recalling her wild adventure which kept me rather enthralled. There was a personal connection between reader and writer here, but it was also just comfortably humorous.
Just to comment on the tradition of Naked Sushi Modeling, at first I found this to be somewhat offensive, but then I found out that male models are also used and I thought that was fair.

No comments: