Saturday, October 18, 2008

Naurdwar



Having talked recently in class about interviewing techniques, I thought Naudrwar might be applicable to this whole mess. A.K.A. Naudrwar The Human Serviette, this guy is what some might refer to as a "guerrilla interviewer." Although his style his pretty unconventional, what I found impressive is the level of research that he puts into each interview, often surprising the interviewee with obscure information, memorabilia, and objects from their past. Although he focuses mainly on music, he has interviewed such famous politicians as Mikhail Gorbachev. While many hail from the school of interviewing thought which lets the interviewee talk about a particular subject until they see fit, I found Naurdwars style very interesting and engaging. Furthermore, whether you like his style or not, his amount of research has obviously lent him a certain noteriatry and respect, although definitely not with everyone. In any case, this interview with Afrika Bambaataa really caught my attention and made me rethink the importance of what I do when I interview.I thought Naurdwar was able to extract a lot of interesting information from Bambaataa and I especially liked the quote "If it's funky, I'll play it." It almost had an Hunter S. Thompson feel, in the sense that he became as much of an entity in the interview as the interviewee.

No comments: