Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Younger People Have More Trouble Voting Than Older Crowds

Today marked one of the most historic elections our country has seen in a while, causing voters to eagerly flock to their local polling sites to get their vote in. I went to the SUB early this morning to vote, and luckily I was able to beat the massive line that began forming around 10:00A.M. Afterwards, I interviewed 21 students at the SUB and then went over to the middle school polling site and interviewed about another 20 people, mostly of an older age range. I noticed a trend; even though very few people had difficulty voting, younger people (meaning those under 25) had more trouble voting than the older people.

One of the students I spoke to in the SUB, Sara Beller, 20, was not on the list even though she was sure she was registered, and was forced to step outside and call the Ulster County Board of Elections. Another student, Kaitlyn Jankovitz, 22, was turned away because she didn't live on campus anymore and she was unsure where to vote. Only one older person I talked to, Sue Duggan, 62, had trouble voting because she had been told she was at the wrong polling site. I wasn't that surprised that more young people had trouble voting, however, because many have probably never voted before or are just less experienced with the process than the older people.

No comments: