Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Paltz Students Deprived of True Voting Experience


Having the opportunity to participate in such a historical election, most students were extremely excited to cast their vote on Tuesday. However, once they went to the polls, several students found that their voting experience wasn't exactly the way they had imagined it.

Because this election is so exciting, it's natural for many people to want to show their support for their candidates. Unfortunately, a little-known rule prohibits wearing any election gear to the polls. Third-year student Jamie Ross spoke to a woman running the voting site in the SUB, who told her that it is a national law. Wearing any type of t-shirt, button, or sticker that represents a candidate is considered campaigning and is not allowed. "She also thought the rule was absurd because no one's mind is going to change within the last few minutes," said Ross. There were signs outside the SUB telling voters that they weren't allowed to wear anything representing a candidate. But Ross still finds this rule to be discouraging, adding, "If people come out and they're all decked out and they get turned away, then they probably won't come back."

The voting site in the SUB was buzzing with excitement. The line was nearly out the door as students waited patiently and watched those who had already voted exit the SUB multi-purpose room. Some walked out feeling elated, and others disappointed. Third-year student Lindsay Gillard was one of the disappointed voters. "I registered here last semester, and I haven’t moved into a different building, so my address has remained the same, but I’m not on the list, so apparently I have to call them," she explained, looking as if she was fighting back tears. After she called the number given to her, the woman she spoke to said that the people working the polls were the ones who were supposed to call the board of elections, not the voter. She had to go back to speak to the woman at the sign-in table to see if she had to wait on line again.

Third-year student Sam Bialastok registered to vote last year, but was not on the list. Several minutes later, her and Gillard were sitting at the small table about a foot away from the sign-in table, filling out affidavits. While others got the luxury of voting behind a curtain, any students voting at this table had hardly any privacy. "I'm sort of in this open space," said Gillard. "I feel a little uncomfortable voting."

Another third-year student I spoke to had similar problems voting. "They told me that I was out of the system because I changed rooms, but my voter card is for my new room, not my old room, and I voted in the primaries under the same new room, so I don't understand why," she explained. "I had to fill out one of the paper ballots; they said it's going to count. I hope it does."

During any given time, the table reserved for students filling out paper ballots was always occupied. There was always a handful of people standing around the sign-in table, looking utterly confused and hoping to be helped. However, the woman running the table was too busy signing in voters to offer them much attention. A circle of students on their cell phones, calling the board of elections, formed, as registered voters happily walked up to the voting booths. The students turned away looked defeated and disappointed.


(Photo courtesy of Inmagine.com)

No comments: