Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fresh, Clean Q-Tip

Photo courtesy the Village Voice

I don't listen to a lot of rap, but I always enjoy A Tribe Called Quest, so I'm excited that rapper Q-Tip has a new solo album out, titled The Renaissance.

One of the songs is available on Q-Tip's Myspace page, and I wouldn't say it's quite as good as his older songs, it is still reminiscent of his classic style. According to the Village Voice's review, "The Renaissance, thankfully, is aptly titled. "ManWomanBoogie" (featuring New York soulstress Amanda Diva) and "Move" give us back the guy who leans on '70s-soul sampling and his own veracious stutter-stepped flow. The Raphael Saadiq collaboration "Fight/Love," which examines a young person's decision to join the military, reminds us of Tip's natural ability to storytell his way to crisp social observation."

All the Youtube videos I found did not have embedding available, but here's the video for A Tribe Called Quest's "I left my wallet in El Segundo."

No comments: