Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Spirit Day 2008

Martin Geraghty, a RA in Levefre Hall, celebrates during the three-legged race at Spirit Day on Sunday.  Photo by Doron Tyler Antrim.

On Sunday, Old Main Quad at SUNY New Paltz was the stage for Spirit Day.  I attended the event with my suite mate, who is also a member of Levefre Hall government.  Never having experienced a Spirit Day before, I was unsure what to expect.  Frankly, I was lured solely by the promise of a free t-shirt with participation.  

I met with fellow residents of Levefre Hall (most were resident assistants or members of hall government) in our main lounge and we walked across campus to Old Main Quad sporting face paint and wearing our free shirts that proclaimed, "Catch The Fevre."

Beginning at 11:00 a.m., Spirit Day consisted of an energizing mix of team competition and cheerleading contests between all thirteen residence halls.  The halls competed in events such as the three-legged race, sack race, tug-of-war, and pie eating contest.  Spirit Day concluded with a lip-sync contest in Elting Gym at 7:00 p.m.

I had an amazing time at Spirit Day.  The competitions were fun and I made new friends in the process.  (Not to mention the endless photo-taking opportunities.)  And for all those who feel as I once did, that these types of student-organized events are a waste of time, I'd challenge them to give the events a chance.  I did and didn't regret it.  

For more photos from Spirit Day, visit my Facebook page.  All photos by Doron Tyler Antrim.

No comments: