Sunday, September 14, 2008

Country Music... Come on, Try it Just Once.


As everyone already knows in my arts criticism class, I am a country music junkie, fan, critic, and performer.  I know it's not the cool thing for college kids to listen to but lately it seems like more and more musicians are coming to the dark side and joining the country music world.  Darius Rucker  (of "Hootie and the Blowfish" fame) and Jessica Simpson are just the latest in pop musicians to "cross-over" to country.  I'm not sure how I feel about all these pop artists enjoying the country lime light but I do have to say that it is bringing more light onto the talent that country music holds.  If a person talks about country music, the first person one would most likely recognize would be Garth Brooks, but I'm here to introduce people to more artists that start off behind the scenes and then take stage as artists in their own right.  

If you visit the magazine  Country Weekly  you'll learn about artists like Jamey Johnson; a man who started off writing hits for other artists but has now successfully "crossed-over" to the main stage.  This is the kind of cross over that I love to see.  The behind the scenes talent that now has a chance to take center stage.  Artists like Jamey Johnson prove that in country music you don't have to be the best looking person in the room to be successful; you just have to be incredibly talented.  Country musicians have heart and soul that is hard to find in the pop music that's on the radio today. 

So check out some country music and find out a little bit more about the music that most college students will not admit to listening to. 

Photo of Jamey Johnson Courtesy of Country Weekly 

1 comment:

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Could not agree more. Saw Jamey Johnson in Nashville this June and he was awesome. Was the first time I ever heard of him and I got his CD the first day it came out. It' has been in my CD player in the Jeep permanently since then.