Monday, December 8, 2008

Crime

Whether it's good or bad I usually don't pay attention to the crime stories which typically appear on newspapers like the New York Post. Although I wouldn't go as far as exploitation, I find that stories which fill there front page with sensational crime stories are insensitive, and draw to many conclusions from to little facts. None the less, I couldn't help but notice a story about the disappearance of Laura Garza, a girl from Manhattan, by ways of Texas. Although not charged with anything other then patrol violation, the focus has been on Newburgh resident Michael Mele. This case caught my eye not only because Newburgh is where I live, but I used to see him in school all the time and know many people who knew him well. As the details and facts from this case unfold, it's a scary thought to think that you went to school with a killer. Frankly, I don't have to much to say about this case. I hope shes found safe and if not I hope who ever harmed her is caught and punished. Reading about his sex offender past, it just goes to show that even those you might not look like they seem aggresive or strange can be different people, and to be weary when you go out to have a good time. It's also particularly sad that Newburgh has been getting such bad press lately, since I know a lot of good people from there, and cases like these that are some of the most despicable things to read about.

No comments: