Monday, December 8, 2008

Book Groups Generate More Dissatisfaction Than Discussion

I've never been in a book group, and from the looks of this article I don't think I want to. We all may know someone who has been in a book group and has been dissatisfied with it for one reason or another. I personally know my mother has joined and quit a number of discussion groups for many different reasons: disagreement over book choice, personality conflicts and lack of commitment from group members. I kind of always thought it was just my mom, but apparently nationwide people have found becoming a member of a book group unsatisfactory.  This article published in todays Times talks about some extreme cases of such, even groups that went so far as to demand that it members make elaborate tea spreads or ban political discussion.

No comments: